Procter & Gamble is committed to providing products and services of superior quality and value that improve the lives of the world's consumers. As part of this, Procter & Gamble continually strives to improve the environmental quality of our products, packaging and operations around the world. To carry out this commitment, it is Procter & Gamble's policy to:
Ensure our products, packaging and operations are safe for our employees,consumers and the environment.
- Reduce, or prevent, the environmental impact of our products and packaging in their design, manufacture, distribution, use and disposal whenever possible. We take a leading role in developing innovative, practical solutions to environmental issues related to our products, packaging and processes. We support the sustainable use of resources and actively encourage reuse, recycling and composting. We share experiences and expertise and offer assistance to others who may contribute to progress in achieving environmental goals.
- Meet or exceed the requirements of all environmental laws and regulations. We use environmentally sound practices, even in the absence of government standards. We cooperate with governments in analyzing environmental issues and developing cost-effective, scientifically based solutions and standards.
- Continually assess our environmental technology and programs, and monitor progress toward environmental goals. We develop and use stateof- the-art science and product life cycle assessment, from raw materials through disposal, to assess environmental quality.
- Provide our consumers, customers, employees, communities, public interest groups and others with relevant and appropriate factual information about the environmental quality of P&G products, packaging and operations. We seek to establish and nurture open, honest and timely communications and strive to be responsive to concerns.
- Ensure every employee understands and is responsible and accountable for incorporating environmental considerations in daily business activities. We encourage, recognize and reward individual and team leadership efforts to improve environmental quality. We also encourage employees to reflect their commitment to environmental quality outside of work.
- Have operating policies, programs and resources in place to implement our environmental quality policy. P&G's philosophy is grounded in a belief that we should be a leader in our industry in implementing our global environmental program. To do this, we concentrate on environmental innovation and accountability for results. We believe our accomplishments illustrate this commitment. For example, P&G was first to bring innovations such as concentrated products, refill packages and recycled plastic bottles to our industry. We have made great strides in reducing overall packaging per case by an average of 27 percent since 1990. During the same period, our focus on pollution prevention has resulted in a 37 percent reduction in waste, air and water emissions from our manufacturing plants.
We recognize that environmental progress is a never-ending journey of continuous effort and improvement. However, by focusing on improving the lives of consumers through innovative technologies that work better andmore efficiently, we believe we can continue to sustain both the growth ofour business and the health of the environment.